27 October 2012

What's in a name?

Well, I guess it depends on the name, doesn't it?

As this is a new blog, I thought I'd begin with a comment on its name. Which is the seventh sacrament?

You might answer that in different ways. A quick check of the Catechism would show that in its list of the seven sacraments, Matrimony is mentioned and discussed last (CCC  1210). But note that in CCC 1211 the Catechism also says that this order is "not the only one possible...."

In my case, to explain the name of this blog, I am thinking in terms of my own experience. At various times in my life I have received all the sacraments of initiation and of healing (Anointing of the Sick thanks to surgery I had in 2009), and I was married in 1985. This leaves only Holy Orders as a sacrament which I have not received individually.

In 2009 I began the process of formation for the Permanent Diaconate in my diocese. Unlike Roman Catholic priests, who are normally not married, permanent deacons can be married (CCC 1579), and often are. It is now a little less than a year before the scheduled ordination date for me and the other men on this journey with me (along with our families, friends, and parishes). If, God willing, I am ordained next October, I will receive what will be, in my experience, the seventh sacrament.

The Year of Faith proclaimed by Pope Benedict XVI has begun. The Synod of Bishops that accompanied the opening of the Annus Fidei released its Message to the People of God yesterday. In that document we read

Evangelization requires that we pay much attention to the world of social communication, especially the new media, in which many lives, questions and expectations converge. It is the place where consciences are often formed, where people spend their time and live their lives. It is a new opportunity for touching the human heart.

In light of this, I'm starting this blog both as a record of my path towards ordination and as what I hope can be a contribution to the new evangelism called for by the bishops. One hopeful sign is the many other people out there already making similar efforts, many of whom have helped and encouraged me through their online presence. I hope this blog can add a little bit to that positive use of today's media as I move towards receiving what will be, for me, the seventh sacrament, and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment